Monday, August 29, 2011

Lifting the Veil

Here we are. It's been well over a year, maybe closer to two years, since I started this blog. About a year and a half since I focused it on one specific area of my life: my education. I started this in my junior year of high school and now I'm a freshman at Franklin Pierce University in little Rindge, New Hampshire.
Words cannot express how much I love this place.
I've been here for three full days now. Everyone has been nothing but nice and the campus is beyond beautiful. The first night was a little rough. Lots of awkward silences and some homesickness mainly for my dogs and a bit for my parents too but I tried not too think too hard on it. I was tired and I was nervous.
The next day was great though. Free time until noon then fun and games for the rest of the day.
Today's highlight was playing hackysack even though I failed miserably and playing frisbee in front of a band that was playing in the freshman courtyard. Unbelievably fun.
I have some things left to check off put I'm pretty comfortable with getting it done. I'm so happy here and I already don't want to leave senior year.
I don't party. I guess I'm technically straight-edge in that sense. I don't smoke. I don't drink. I don't do any sort of drugs. I've seen enough of the destruction all of that can cause. I don't want a part of it. I've seen wives with young children widowed from smokers dying of lung cancer, I've watched families destroyed by alcohol and husbands always looking for their next high at any price.
I know who I am. I'm not at college to find myself. I'm at college to be myself and to better myself.
Peace, Love, and Pandas,
Maggie

No comments:

Post a Comment